Saturday, February 19, 2011

DAY 17...The Journey: Arrival




From Africa to South Central or Gibnut Street, Belize City
This is how we came!

I was like a hot brand
Amid dried bush
My words burned everything they touched
Anger from my brothers
Hate from my masters
We sailed in on a gilded sheet
Smooth endless seas
We were washed in the salt from the sea
Glistened with the fat of pigs
And exchanged for gold
In my bowed head there was submission
But in my heart I stored rebellion
I am Nkule

We were herded off the ship
Linked to each other by iron shackles
Forged with links of bitterness, anger
Resentment and hate
We saw the sun and
Did not feel its warmth
We were poked and prodded
And finally sold
Sold for our strength
Sold for our beauty
Sold for being different.
We planted cotton,
Sugarcane, felled logwood
Ate the crust of the bread
The skin from meat
And the guts of swine
We were slaves…
And we cried to be free
We were
Kunta, Shaka,Alunda
Ulele, Beriunga, and Keva
Later called…
Bobo, Sally and Mary Sue
An old man Ebednigo.

No comments:

Post a Comment