Thursday, February 3, 2011

DAY 3...Release me





My Grandmother’s Skin

In my grandmother’s skin
lies true power
From the Sun without and
From the blood within.

In her skin can be seen
The map of her world
From dark Indian hills to
White Tropical shores

The secrets of a thousand days and nights
Are inscribed on her dermis
And those with eyes to read
Can glean great wisdom from her pages

Tears and sweat have laid down tracks
Along that ebon road
And I can follow those paths to
The end of grief
And the joy that cometh in the morning

Do not misjudge the craggy slopes
Or wavy river rapid running
Across the oft traversed landscape
of her fathomless features
Beauty is her hallmark
And in her regal bearing
Favor can be found

And as she lay
In quiet repose
Petrified in her final state
I have come to read
Past my grief
Her legacy of love
Written in folded arms
and stylus fingers
pointed towards
a now silent heart
having unburdened itself 
of all its love and hope
which now resides in 
our memories of the
sweet smile
the gentle touch
the warm, smooth rasp
of my grandmother's skin.  



No comments:

Post a Comment